Friday, April 20, 2007

Apple trees

(Get ready to fall out of your seats......I'm blogging twice in one day!)

Last night we were getting ready to go somewhere, and Emma spotted our neighbors watering their flowers. She quickly turned and stooped down low to look at some soil in front of our house. I watched her without saying anything, and called her to the car. As she crawled into her seat, I saw the concerned look on her face and could tell she was pondering something deep and significant.

"What's the matter, Ems?"

"I'm having a little trouble."

"With what?"

"Well, I planted my seeds, but my apple tree just isn't growing!"

At this point, I remembered that yes, she had saved some apple seeds from lunch one day and put them in that soil. I didn't want to burst her bubble that day, so I didn't tell her they probably wouldn't grow, plus I thought she'd forget about it. I guess I forgot that Emma truly has an AMAZING memory. So, I told her that they probably needed a bigger area to grow in, and that she could help me plant some flowers.

At dinner, I could tell she was still mulling this sordid apple tree situation over in her mind. I asked her what she was thinking about, and she held out her hands and counted on her fingers, "Plants need water and dirt and sunshine to grow. I just tried and tried and it didn't grow!" Sweet Emma.

So today... we got home from our picnic with Daddy and she went over to check on her hopeless apple tree. I got a little nervous when I heard her squeal, and just started laughing when I spotted what she had seen. "MY TREE! It's starting!" I'm tempted to pull the weed that decided to reveal itself on this warm day, and replace it with an shiny red apple. What would she do?! LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Oh...what a dilemma! I can just hear her being so happy about her new apple tree, how dissapointing it would be to learn it's just a weed. hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She is such a smart little girl. Do you think she'll forget about it as the summer continues or will you eventually have to explain that it's not an apple tree. Maybe you can give her her own little garden spot with real plants and then she'll be so concerned about them that the apple tree will be long forgotten. This is such a sweet story -- one to remember for sure!

    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...