Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A pretty big week

I didn't mean for there to be such a gap between posts this summer.  The upside is that we were out there, enjoying life and enjoying summer!  What would there be to blog about if we sat around doing nothing?  The downside is that a lot of fun stuff happened that I might have to revisit in future posts.  Chronological blogging?  Who needs it?!

So jumping right back into things...

It's been a HUGE week in the Flibbertigibberish family.  Every one of us had something big on our plates:

GARY:
Gary pulled off the annual Murder Mystery dinner for his high school students.  Thanks to his awesome team of volunteers and an incredible couple from church who graciously opened their home to the 250+ students/volunteers, it was a huge success.
Doesn't he look handsome in his suspenders and hat?  And to top it off, he preached in "big church" the next morning.  Whew!

EMMA & ADDIE:
First day of school!  Emma started 2nd grade and Addie started kindergarten. They're attending a new school this year, and we couldn't be more excited.
The charter school they attend is just down the street and so far we love it.  The uniforms/dress code have my girls all giddy each morning to see what they get to wear, and you won't hear this mama arguing!
Addie came home the first day and told me she'd made a new friend and was so excited that she was wearing the same thing as her!  Odds are pretty good when you have a uniform, you know!  So far she thinks kindergarten is "easy peasy."
Emma came home from school the first day and told me she'd met a girl whose hair is softer than cottonballs.  What more can you ask for in a new friend?!?

BRODY:
Over the weekend we went to the store and let Brody pick out a pair of big boy undies.  I guess that's all it took, because I'm proud to say that he is out of diapers!  Simple as that!

Day three and only two accidents and we're not looking back.  (Please note that his first accident happened while typing the previous sentence - no joke.  The second happened while finishing up this blog post hours later.  Ha!)

He's even slept overnight in those big boy undies!  He even took it upon himself to remove all diapers from his room before naptime.  He's serious about this.

CHLOE:
Chloe took her first steps last night!  She was so proud of herself as she walked back and forth between Daddy and her siblings.  She's still wobbly, but she's very close to just taking off -- not that I'm in any hurry for her to do so.
Last night I also nursed Chloe for the first time.  Emotional much?  Oh my word.  It didn't go as I imagined.  I thought the last time may have been over the weekend, but because THAT time didn't go as planned, and because I was still a little full, I decided to have another go at the official "last time." 

I picked her up and cuddled her, ready to soak up every sweet second of this last milestone.  I actually paused for a moment, and almost asked Gary to grab the camera, but I didn't.  Just as she latched on, she bit me.  HARD.  As if I had a piranha at my breast instead of a sweet baby.  I shrieked as I frantically tried to unclench her.  I cried.  I cried a lot.  I cried a big, loud ugly cry and handed her to Gary.  The golden, sunshiny, movie-moment I'd imagined had gone terribly wrong.  That was IT?  That's how we were going to end all these years of nursing?  I was crushed.  I fed her her bottle with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Friends have recommended going for another "last time," but I'm afraid that was it.  It's why there were multiple "last times" - the girl is a baby barracuda.  We're both finished, and I need to let go.  *sigh*

ME:
Well, all of these things are what have made it a big week for me.  Isn't that what being a mom is all about?  However, I was very sick last week, which made it a rough end to summer/start to school.  Fever, chills, sore throat... ugh.  I'm glad to be better, but unfortunately I passed it on to Emma who has already missed the last two days of school due to a fever! So, I'm praying everyone gets and remains healthy.

And I'm praying for a little less excitement in the next week!

2 comments:

  1. Love the update! Part that made me laugh- Emma saying her friends hair was softer than cottonballs...hahah!! Love you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little update! I'm glad the girls are like their new school & they have already made friends (the cottonball story was too cute). Your big boy is doing so well with potty training. I can only hope my son does that well. He's pretty hard headed though so I'm doubting it. Sorry to hear about the breastfeeding mishap. I can't imagine how devestated you were.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! And thanks a bunch for commenting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...